Friday, February 6, 2009

Installation Complete

10 Laptops, 30 dvds, and about 3 hours of installation/patching. What a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon... and the next few nights reinstalling on the five that locked up.

The previously mentioned "Mobile Training Lab" is made up of ten Dell Vostro 1510 laptops intended to be used for training our staff at the branches. Since our staff doesn't require daily training, these laptops were ideal for use in the program. The added benefit is that I don't have to limit myself to one location and I can take this program out to the branches. These are adequate for meeting the System Requirements for the game, but I did still dial down some of the effects settings to keep things running smoothly.

For those unfamiliar with the game, Blizzard releases new patches (a.k.a. upgrades and fixes) on Tuesdays. Be prepared to schedule some patching time prior to your programs so that you don't get stuck for 30 minutes at the beginning of your program.

Don't forget to have your IT crowd open the correct ports for the patch downloads if you are experiencing slow download speeds. I didn't run into the closed port issue, even though the ports are not open at my library, however it might be helpful to have this port knowledge handy in case others do have this problem.

1 comment:

  1. Bob, I'd like note for readers here plus any contacts you could direct this information to, that I am a MLS graduate pursuing some post-graduation research on 21st Century learning skills acquired in WoW that may translate to real life. The survey has been live only a week and I've already had some pretty amazing data come in. Anyone who plays or has ever played WoW is invited to participate; there is an opt-in for a free time card as a thank you. The easy to remember URL is http://tinyurl.com/SkillsSurvey. The survey remains open until the end of April 2009.

    I'll also note that I am the new games columnist and blogger for Library Journal, with my first blogpost going up Sunday or Monday (3/8 or 3/9) on LJ's site. I will definitely want to keep people apprised of your work on this project!

    Liz Danforth

    ReplyDelete